THE UCI HAS TODAY CONFIRMED ON TWITTER IT WILL HOST A TRIBUTE RUN FOR STEVIE SMITH AT THE FORT WILLIAM WORLD CUP.
Four-time World Cup winner Stevie Smith tragically passed away while out on a motorbike ride on 11 May this year. Fort William will be the first World Cup race since his death and a memorial run will allow the whole mountain bike community to come together to remember him.
Currently the most popular suggestion for how Stevie should be commemorated comes from Pinkbike user Hwulex, who said:”
– Rider 20: Stevie‘s bike is propped up in the gate, the cranks backward spinning as the camera cuts over
– Rob and Claudio introduce Stevie and say some words about him, his career, his achievements, and then his passing; his family’s loss, Canada’s loss, mountain biking’s loss. Our loss
– Rob and Claudio then sign off, and the track, crowd, radios, all fall silent
– The start beeps count down, and Stevie’s ghost is on-track
– The live-feed shows the usual out-the-gate, panning with him as he sets off
– Track marshals blow their whistles a few seconds apart (actual would need to be calculated) working from top-to-bottom
– Skip to the regular televised section start to meet the whistle-descent, at which point we know exactly how long the feed will take to get him to the bottom (which is usually 2-3 minutes of televised run)
– The cameras pan and follow Stevie’s ghost as if they would the other riders
– The marshal whistles mark Stevie’s progress, trackside still silent
– The finish-line timer is counting down
– The feed and marshal whistles follow Stevie’s ghost all the way to the finish when we see the clock reach zero. Stevie is neither red nor green. He zeroes out, and the timer remains black
– The crowd goes absolutely nuts, a roar erupts in the stands; track-side top to bottom cries of “STEVIE” and a chorus of chainsaws rings out, and everyone watching around the world shout and cheer in celebration of the one Stevie Smith”
As it stands we have no details as to what the UCI (or Red Bull) are intending but it would be amazing if something like this could happen for our fallen brother. We’ll update you on any further details as we get them.
Read more at https://dirtmountainbike.com